Variable Details:

Source:

Drèze, Xavier, and Joseph C. Nunes (2009), "Feeling Superior: The Impact of Loyalty Program Structure on Consumers’ Perceptions of Status", Journal of Consumer Research, 35, 890-905.
[Endnote]


Variable



Definition:

  • Respondents were told that they were in the top 10% of all customers based on their spending history and thus were gold members, while the remaining 90% possessed no status.


Item(s):



Citations: